Dee Bridge (Queensferry)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Dee Bridge in 2019. The adjacent The Blue Bridge is in the background|
|2 March 1962|
|John Howard and Co.|
|Crossings related to the A494|
Dee Bridge or Queensferry Bridge is a girder bridge across the River Dee on the A494 near Queensferry, Flintshire. It was built to improve road communication between North Wales and North-west England. It superceded the adjacent single carriageway The Blue Bridge, a former bascule bridge built in 1926, which was renumbered to B5441.
Bridge and Bypass
There was one project to construct the bridge and the Queensferry Bypass. This provided a 1.5 mile dual carriageway from Higher Shotton (adjacent to Dee View) to Drome Corner, north-east of Garden City, then an at grade roundabout with A548. Carriageways were 24 feet wide.
Work commenced on 29 July 1960 and it was envisaged that it would open by August 1961. However there were weather delays because of a persistently wet period over the winter of 1961/62. It was opened on 2 March 1962 by Ernest Marples, Minister of Transport who cut the big white tape across the road at 12.40. He then spent the next 5 minutes in the middle of a surging crowd chopping the ribbon into pieces with his silver scissors and handing the bits out to bystanders as souvenirs. A bronze plaque was unveiled in the middle of the bridge.
The total cost of bridge and bypass was £900,000. Traffic censuses on the old bridge showed about 20,000 vehicles a day during the holiday period.
There are three spans. The centre span was designed as a lifting span if big ships started using the River Dee again. The lifting machinery was not fitted though.
The steel beam bridge had a width of 80 feet.
Bridge renewal plans
|Dee Bridge (Queensferry)|