|From:||Handford Bridge, Ipswich (TM149446)|
|To:||Priory Heath (TM194430)|
|Via:||Yarmouth Road, Valley Road, Heath Road, Bixley Road|
|Distance:||5 miles (8 km)|
|Met (1934):||A12, A45, A12, A139|
|Now part of:||A1214, A1189|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1114 number was allocated to the first Ipswich Bypass, which opened around 1929. Its original route ran around the north side of the town, from London Road to Woodbridge Road, meeting the A12 at both ends.
The road was quickly extended clockwise to meet the then-A139 Felixstowe Road near Priory Heath. Then in 1935 the earlier bypass route was renumbered as the mainline of the A12, leaving only the eastern section (Felixstowe Road had been renumbered A45 at the same time). By the 1970s this remaining section became the mainline of the A45, causing the A1114 number to disappear altogether.
The subsequent arrival of the A12 / A45 (now A14) modern Ipswich Bypass has since caused the road to be renumbered again. That part that was the A12 is the A1214 along with the rest of that road's bypassed route, whilst the section that was A45 is now the A1189.