|Distance:||2.1 miles (3.4 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1146 is a short, rural link road entirely within the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster.
The road starts on the A18 to the east of Hatfield, on the far side of the M18 from the town. It heads north, initially adjacent to the motorway before turning away to the right to pass Hatfield prison. After going under the M180 (former A18(M)) it passes a golf course before ending at a T-junction on the A614. Immediately to the left is a bridge carrying the Doncaster to Scunthorpe railway line, with the town of Thorne on the far side.
What is now the A1146 was originally numbered A1032. It was renumbered as the mainline of the A614 in 1935 but was quickly given its own number again, presumably as A614 traffic continued to use that road's original (and current) route avoiding Hatfield. The A1032 number had been reused elsewhere, so the road was numbered A1146 instead.
The original southern end of the road was a short distance to the west of its current route, on the western side of the M18, and is now called Old Thorne Road. This was severed by the motorway and the present line of the road built. A footbridge in the area retains the right-of-way.