The A1300 forms the South Shields bypass, running to the south of the town centre as far as the coast.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A194 just to the east of its junction with the A19. The A1300 heads east along a semi-urban D2. Houses are visible to both sides of the road, although they are not accessible from the A1300; however, there are frequent sets of traffic lights and roundabouts which provide access to the housing estates.
After crossing a freight-only railway line the road turns slightly northerly. The B1298 is crossed at a roundabout, after which the road runs between the South Tyneside District Hospital and Temple Memorial Park to a further roundabout on the A1018.
The road now narrows to S2 and becomes far more urban. It crosses the now-unclassified former A19 at the next roundabout and continues in the same direction through the suburbs along what becomes an attractive tree-lined avenue. Although the road is lined with houses they are set back somewhat. Presently the road runs over a rise and the sea becomes visible ahead. Another roundabout leads to a final stretch of road which ends at a final roundabout on the A183 Coast Road above Marsden Bay.
The whole of the above did not even exist in 1922. By 1935 the section of road to the east of what is now the A1018 had been classified as part of the B1300, to serve the new suburbs and the new coast road.
Although the B1300 did follow a similar route to that of the present A1300, it ran closer to the town centre. With the opening of the Tyne Tunnel it was therefore decided to build a new road to provide easier access; this was opened as the A1300, which also took over the eastern half of the B1300.