A132 (Colchester - Huntingdon)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||57.3 miles (92.2 km)|
|Met (1932):||A12, A131, A1017, A1092, A11, A10, A45, A14|
|Now part of:||A1124, A1017, A143, A1307, A14|
|Route outline (key)|
The original A132 ran from Colchester to Godmanchester but was swallowed up by the A604 when it was extended to Harwich on 1st April 1936 (see 1935 Road numbering revision). It remained the A604 until that road was dismantled in the 1990s, being reduced to several different numbers to dissuade drivers from using it as a through route.
In the original 1922 listings, the A132 began on the A12 near Lexden (just west of Colchester) and followed the lines of the present-day A1124 through Halstead to Sible Hedingham, then A1017 and A143 into Haverhill, A1307 through the centre of Cambridge and then the A14 into Godmanchester, where it ended on the original A14 (here numbered B1043.
In 1934, the opening of the Colchester Bypass caused the A132 to be extended over the line of the former A12 as far as Head Street, where it ended at a triple point with North Hill (the A134) and High Street (the A135). This didn't become part of the A604 in 1936, but instead became an extension of the A1124, which remains the case today.