A139 (Ipswich - Felixstowe)
|Length:||13.4 miles (21.6 km)|
|Met (1923):||A12, B1080, B1081, B1082, Pier|
|Now part of:||A1156, A1021, A154|
|Route outline (key)|
The original 1922 list marks the A139 as Ipswich - Felixstowe - Harwich Harbour.
The road started on the A12 (now A1071) in the centre of Ipswich and ran southeastwards via the Trimleys to Felixstowe. There was a loop around the town centre and the road then headed southwards as far as the River Orwell, ending at a pier now within the restricted area of the Port of Felixstowe from where a ferry could be got across the water to Harwich.
This number didn't last more than 13 years before the road was incorporated into an extended A45 in 1935. Later road improvements moved the A45 onto bypasses. The A45 was renumbered later to A14 - but that road actually covers none of the ex-A139 even if it does share its route.
From Ipswich to north of Nacton the former A139 is now part of the A1156. It is then the unclassified road parallel to the A14 as far as the roundabout on the A1021 Hamilton Road in Felixstowe. It then follows the A1021 south and west to join the A154 which it follows as far as the gates of the dock. The final section of the road has been destroyed with the construction of the container port; even the coastline has moved.
This page contains scans from a map that is believed may be out of copyright according to UK Crown Copyright, UK Copyright Law for other maps published in the United Kingdom, or Irish Government Copyright, is not being used to generate profit in this context, and presents information that cannot be exhibited otherwise.
If the copyright holder considers this is an infringement of their rights, please contact the site management team to discuss further steps.