A147 (Norwich - Cromer)
|To:||Crossdale Street (TG227386)|
|Distance:||20.5 miles (33 km)|
|Met (1923):||A47, A1067, A1024, A149|
|Now part of:||A1402, A140|
|Route outline (key)|
The A147 was originally allocated to the main road north of Norwich to the Norfolk coast.
The road started on the A47 Prince of Wales Road on the eastern side of the city centre. It headed north along King Street and Magdalen Street to leave town along St Augustines Street. The road then continued north through Aylsham and Roughton to end on the A149 at Crossdale Street, to the south of Cromer.
In 1935, the entire A147 was renumbered as an extension of the A140. Bypasses have been built at Aylsham and Horsham St Faith (the old A147 is now lost under the runway of Norwich Airport) but the A147 remains this number outside the Norwich ring road.
Inside the ring road things are slightly more complicated. The ex-A147 immediately south of the A140 is now numbered A1402. However, once we approach the city centre it becomes difficult to follow the old road. The Anglia Square shopping centre, for example, has destroyed the road's old route.