|Distance:||33.3 miles (53.6 km)|
|Meets:||B676, A1, B1176, A6121, B1193, A15, B1180, B1356, B1172, B1180, B1173, A16, B1357, B1515, A17|
|Former Number(s):||B1175, B676, A1106|
|Old route now:||B1193, B1515|
|Route outline (key)|
The A151 is a medium-length A-road in south Lincolnshire.
Colsterworth - Holbeach
The present western terminus of the A151 is at the Colsterworth Interchange on the A1. We travel from there eastwards through nondescript Lincolnshire countryside, passing Corby Glen after 5 miles. The next few miles take us around numerous bends - like much of this county's roads there are few straight sections - and a tight left hander leads into several sweeping right-hand bends, before a sharp descent down a 12% gradient with a tight left bend at the base take us into the pretty village of Grimsthorpe.
We then cross a small river at Edenham on a single-track stone bridge that has recently installed lights to control the flow of traffic, before passing the junction of the A6121 and entering Bourne. The original route of the road continued along what is now the B1193 but the A151 now bears right onto a relief road via a few roundabouts to meet the A15 at another to the south of the town centre.
After a short multiplex north the A151 reappears by turning right off the A15 to run through the industrial eastern side of town and rejoin its original route at a T-junction where it TOTSOs right. On leaving town the road seems to make up for its winding nature earlier on by running dead-straight across the Fens, bending sharply left in the unusually named settlement of Twenty. Another straight section leads to the River Glen, which is followed to a bridge at Pinchbeck West; as with much of the Fens the water level is above the ground level here.
The road then heads southeastwards to Pode Hole, where it crosses a couple of drains. This marks the edge of the Spalding urban area and the road runs eastwards into the centre of town. After a level crossing on the Peterborough to Sleaford line the road TOTSOs left at traffic lights to avoid the town centre. Another set of traffic lights is reached where traffic is forced to turn left onto Pinchbeck Road (the original line of the A16) to leave it again by turning right at another set of lights.
The A151 crosses the River Welland whilst going round a partially signalised roundabout before crossing another cut to reach a roundabout on the A16 bypass. The road gains primary status here and continues eastwards, now more winding again. Weston is bypassed but the road still goes through Moulton and Whaplode before reaching a roundabout on the western edge of Holbeach. The A151 turns left here to end at a roundabout on the A17 Holbeach northern bypass.
In 1922 the A151 only ran between the A16 in Spalding (where it ran along High Street and Commercial Road) and the A17 in the centre of Holbeach. By 1932 the road had been extended west along part of the B1175 to reach the A15 in Bourne.
After World War II Holbeach was bypassed and so the A151 was extended through town along the old A17 to meet it in Fleet Hargate.
In the 1960s the A151 was extended west yet again along part of the B676 (although this section was also the B1175 at one time) to reach the A1 Colsterworth bypass. Holbeach was bypassed later and Bourne later still, giving the road its current route.