A239 (Kingston Bypass)
|From:||Robin Hood Gate, Richmond Park (TQ212722)|
|To:||Littleworth Common (TQ149657)|
|Distance:||8.1 miles (13 km)|
|Met:||A3, A238, A240, A243, A3|
|Now part of:||A3, A309|
|Route outline (key)|
The A239 is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Kingston Bye-pass (Number retained). In other words, the road number was, like the original A180, neither allocated to a road nor reserved for one under construction. As such the A239 number does not appear on any maps of the period for the simple reason it did not exist.
Although it was initially decided that the A239 number would be given to the proposed bypass of Kingston upon Thames, after construction began in 1923 it was allocated the A3 number instead, that being the road which initially went through the centre of the town. In the mid-1920s, before the completion of the bypass, the A3 number was moved, the old road became the A3063 and the A239 number was left vacant (to surface in the Mitcham area in the 1930s).