This article is about the original A274, which ran from Lewes to Pevensey near Eastbourne, and is now part of the A27.
For the current A274, which runs from Benenden near Ashford, to Shepway near Maidstone, see A274
The now-bypassed former A274 near Beddingham
The original A274 was a rural A-road in east Sussex, running from the A26 in Lewes to the A22 in Polegate (for Eastbourne). In the 1935 Road numbering revision the road was extended east after a short multiplex along the A22 through Polegate along the former B2105 to end on the A259 in Westham, near Pevensey.
The A274 became part of the south coast trunk road rather than the more built-up and pedestrian A259 further south. It is therefore not surprising that the entire road was renumbered as part of an eastern extension of the A27 in the early 1950s.
In more recent years the trunk A27 has been heavily upgraded. The road between the bypasses of Lewes and Polegate has had most of its curves ironed out, although it still runs on more-or-less the same line. East of Polegate the A27 runs on a completely new alignment, with part of the ex-A274 being the B2247 and the remainder unclassified.