The original A280 was a short link road cutting the corner off between the then-A279 (since downgraded to the B2110) and A281 at the Sussex village of Lower Beeding. Not surprisingly, the number was quickly reused for something more important and the A280 became a spur of the A279 in 1935. The road is now numbered as part of the B2115.
The road seems to be still marked on a variety of mapping as an A-road into the mid-1990s, when the A279 and former A280 were downgraded. The short length of the road precludes its number being shown on the vast majority of maps, however, and therefore it is not known if the road remained a spur of the A279 until it became the B2115, though it certainly did until at least 1967.