This article is about the possible use for the Charing Northern bypass in Kent.
For the original and current route heading north from Chichester, see A285
The Kentish village of Charing gained a northern bypass in the 1920s, connecting the A20 with the A252, allowing Maidstone to Canterbury traffic to avoid the village centre.
Owing to the short length of the road, its number is not shown on maps. The AA Road Book of 1928 labels the road the A285 but it is likely this is a misprint as the A285 number was already in use near Chichester in Sussex.
Maps suggest that the northern bypass became the mainline of the A252 in the early 1930s - and this may even have been its number on opening. If the road did ever have its own number, it did not last long.