|Charing Northern Bypass|
|From: || Maidstone Road (TQ948497) |
|To: || The Hill (TQ954499) |
|Met: || A20, A252 |
|Former Number(s): || A285?|
|Now part of: || A252|
|Route outline (key)|
||Charing Northern Bypass
The Kentish village of Charing gained a northern bypass in the 1920s, connecting the A20 with the A252, allowing Maidstone to Canterbury traffic to avoid the village centre.
Owing to the short length of the road, its number is generally not shown on maps, although the Philips Ten Sheet map produced in the mid-1920s (shown on the right) appears to label the road as the A292. It is likely that this is a misprint, however, as the A292 number was allocated to a road in Ashford in 1924.
Maps suggest that the northern bypass became the mainline of the A252 in the early 1930s - and this may even have been its number on opening. If the road did ever have its own number, it did not last long.