|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Bedford Road, Northampton (SP772598)|
|Distance:||2.9 miles (4.7 km)|
|Meets:||A45, A428, A4500, A5101, A5123, A508|
|Route outline (key)|
Starting at the Barnes Meadow Interchange on the A45, where the A428 is also met, the A5095 heads east between the A45 and the old course of the River Nene for a few hundred yards before bearing left and crossing the latter. The road now becomes residential as it runs through the suburb of Abington Vale to reach Abington. The road runs through the park and old abbey grounds to reach the A4500, which is met at a signalised crossroads-roundabout hybrid. The A5095 bears left here with the A5101 continuing northwards.
We head west along Abington Avenue past the county cricket ground to a mini-roundabout. The B5346 continues ahead into the town centre whilst we turn right. The A5123 is soon crossed at traffic lights, after which we pass a recreation ground on the left. After houses come back on both sides we pass the corner of a golf course on the right before continuing on to meet the A508. That road is actually met at two adjacent sets of traffic lights, serving traffic heading southbound and northbound respectively.
The A5095 was created around 1929 by upgrading part of the B568 in the north, and constructing a new-build route to the south. The 1932 Ten Mile Map gives the impression that the A50 carried on along the northern section, but this wasn't actually the case.
Some modern maps suggest that the A5080 to the west of the town centre (meeting the A508 half a mile south of the Kingsthorpe terminus of the A5095) is also part of the A5095. This can neither be confirmed or denied on the ground, although official documentation tends to the A5080 number.