A526 (Newcastle-under-Lyme - Salford)
|Length:||35.8 miles (57.6 km)|
|Met (1923):||A52, A5011, A50, A534, A54, A536, A537, A535, A538, A560, A5067, A57, A5068, A56, A5064, A6|
|Now part of:||A34, B5359, B5358, A5149, B5095, A5145, B5093, A6010, B5117|
|Route outline (key)|
Starting on the A52 in the Wolstanton area of Newcastle, the road headed north to Congleton where there was a short multiplex along the A54. Continuing north the road passed through Wilmslow and Cheadle (where there was a shorter multiplex along the A560) before reaching Manchester. The road ran along Oxford Street through the city centre before crossing the River Irwell into Salford, where it ended on the A6 Chapel Street.
The A526 was renumbered as part of the extended A34 in the 1935 Road numbering revision. Its route through Manchester via Oxford Road and Wilmslow Road is now variously parts of the A5145, A6010, B5093 and B5117. There are further bypasses further south too.