|Length:||3.5 miles (5.6 km)|
|Meets:||A59, A5054, A5038, A5056, A5058, A5057, A5098, A566, A5036|
|Former Number(s):||A564, A598|
|Old route now:||A5036, B5422, A5147|
|Route outline (key)|
The A567 is one of the roads running north from Liverpool, although its history is more complicated than it looks.
Liverpool - Litherland
The road continues through Bootle town centre. The block between the A5057 and A5098 is officially for buses only - although other vehicles can join from side roads - and is liberally traffic-calmed. Given that through traffic on the A567 would have used the A565 anyway this should not be a problem.
On becoming all-purpose once more the road continues north and crosses the A566 at a roundabout to reach Litherland. The road bends sharply left onto Bridge Road and ends shortly afterwards at a roundabout on the A5036.
The original number of all the above (except for Bridge Road, Litherland, which has always been the A567) was the A564.
The 1922 Road Lists describe the A567 as Seaforth - Maghull: the road ran from the A565 at Seaforth to the A59 just south of Maghull. Its original route went through Litherland and Sefton but in the late 1930s a new bypass was built connecting the docks with the A59 at Switch Island and the bypassed route became the B5422.
In 1935, the A567 took over the route of the original A598 to meet the A570 just south of Scarisbrick, including a brief multiplex with the A59 through Maghull. It seems likely that it also took over the A564 into Liverpool at this time - it definitely had by 1946 - although it seems that instead of gaining a spur the western section of the original A567 to Bootle Docks was renumbered as an extension of the A5036.
The section of the road from Seaforth to Switch Island was trunked in the 1940s and then upgraded further in the 1970s. For some reason it was renumbered as a further extension of the A5036 at this time. So as there would not be a large gap in the A567, the section north of Maghull was renumbered A5147 at this time, leaving only the ex-A564 numbered A567.