|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||7.1 miles (11.4 km)|
|Now part of:||A5147|
|Route outline (key)|
The A598 was initially allocated to a road running from Maghull to Scarisbrick in south Lancashire. It did not appear in the original 1922 Road Lists, but was upgraded from the B5196 by the end of the 1920s.
Starting on the original line of the A59 in the centre of Maghull, the A598 headed north along a similar line to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, which was crossed at Lydiate, again at Downholland Cross, where the B5195 was met, and Haskayne. The road then continued parallel through Halsall and ended shortly afterwards on the A570 to the south of Scarisbrick.