A727 (Gorbals Cross - Clarkston Toll)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Gorbals Cross (NS592649)|
|To:||Clarkston Toll (NS571576)|
|Distance:||5 miles (8 km)|
|Met:||A8, A728, A77|
|Now part of:||A8, A730, B766, B762, B767|
|Route outline (key)|
The A727 was originally allocated to a route heading south out of central Glasgow.
As far as is currently known, it started on the A8 Trongate and followed the route (north to south) thus:
- Stockwell Street (Unclassified)
- Gorbals Cross (A8)
- Gorbals Street (A730)
- Pollokshaws Road (Unclassified)
- Victoria Road (Unclassified)
- Queen's Drive (Unclassified)
- Langside Road (Unclassified)
- Grange Road (Unclassified)
- Battlefield Road (B768)
- Holmlea Road (Unclassified)
- Clarkston Road (B762 then B767)
- Clarkston Toll (B762)
However, the 1923 MOT map suggests that Eglington Street is part of the A727 (making Pollokshaws Road the A77) and so the A727 met the A8 at the south end of Bridge Street, after that road crossed the Clyde on the Glasgow Bridge. Certainly, later maps do make it certain that Eglington Street is the A77 so it is possible that the two roads swapped over early on, probably in 1935.
The A727 was still in existence on its original route in the 1974 but has since been downgraded.