|Location Map ( geo)|
|A57 crossing the Ladybower Reservoir|
|Crossings related to the A57|
The Ashopton Viaduct is a major bridge in the Peak District, where the A57 crosses the Ladybower Reservoir. It was built along with the rest of the reservoir works, and opened in 1943. It is the only major crossing of the whole reservoir.
The viaduct itself stands directly on top of the old village of Ashopton, which was controversially demolished and flooded to make way for the reservoir. Construction began in 1935, but like many other projects was interrupted by the Second World War, which slowed progress.
In 1947, due to low water levels following a drought, the spire of the old Ashopton church reappeared next to the viaduct.