|Location Map ( geo)|
The bridge at Athelney sits on a historic crossing point of the Tone, which was used by the Turnpike Companies in the 18th and 19th Centuries. At the end of the 18th century it is described as a two-arch wooden bridge, although today it is a 3 span concrete structure. The narrow, single track deck is supported by two rows of concrete legs sitting in the channel and topped by metal railings, making a very dull structure.
Whilst the original Turnpike Roads may have crossed the Tone twice, here and at Stanmoor Bridge downstream, by 1922 when the roads were classified, the 'New Road' direct from Burrowbridge to East Lyng had been built and was numbered as the A361. Ever since, the old route has been a much quieter road for local traffic.