Avon Bridge (Hamilton)
|Location Map ( geo)|
The A72 crosses the River Avon on the 'Avon Bridge at the southern entrance to Hamilton. The current bridge was built in 1825 by Thomas Telford as part of his new Carlisle to Glasgow Road.It comproses a single stone arch carrying a two-way road with narrow pavements. Until the opening of the M74 bypass in 1969, this was part of the main road into Glasgow from the south. Although now shrouded in vegetation and difficult to get a good view of, Telford's drawing shows shallow pilasters flanking the arch, and rising up to the parapets, albeit not offering pedestrian refuges.
Old Avon Bridge
The predecessor to the current bridge lies a little downstream, and substantially below the A72. Accessed from Old Avon Road, the bridge is only open to pedestrians, forming part of the Avon Walkway and cycle route which leads into Chatelherault Country Park. The bridge dates from the 16th Century and has three unequal arches spanning the river. There is also a fourth arch on the south bank, formerly crossing a Mill Lade, which appears to be a later addition. Some records suggest that the bridge was widened in the early 18th Century, but this may refer to the extra arch, as there is little evidence in the structure for other changes.