|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||West Mersea (TM009125)|
|Distance:||8.3 miles (13.4 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1025 is another of the Essex B-roads connecting the coast with somewhere more important.
The B1025 starts on a roundabout with the A134 next to Colchester Town station. It leaves town to the south, passing through Monkwick before passing into rural surroundings.
After passing through Abberton, the road descends down to sea level and crosses The Strood (a bridge-cum-causeway which can be inaccessible at high tide) over to Mersea Island. It zigzags through the streets of West Mersea before ending without ceremony by the Church of St Peter & St Paul.
The basic route of the B1025 is unchanged. It originally began outside Colchester Castle on the High Street (the original route of the A12), and headed south along Queen Street towards the Garrison, where the modern route starts. In West Mersea, the road ran along Colchester Road and High Street North but was diverted onto its current route by 1927.
StroodCam - live webcam showing the current state of the B1025 and high tide times and heights