|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Bar Hill (TL383639)|
|Via:||Longstanton By Pass, Earith and Somersham|
|Distance:||17.8 miles (28.6 km)|
|Meets:||A14, A1123, B1086, A141, B1098|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1050 is a rural B-road in the Fens.
It starts on the A14 at the Bar Hill Junction and heads north to Longstanton. The village's bypass was opened in December 2008. The Cambridgeshire guided busway is then crossed at a set of traffic lights. After going through Willingham, the B1050 follows the bank of the River Great Ouse to Earith, where it meets the A1123 and multiplexes with it west for a short distance.
The B1050 regains its number in the centre of Earith and continues north into Somersham where it TOTSOs right (left is the B1086). It then zigzags across the fens into Chatteris where it splits. The left fork reaches the A141 western bypass. whilst the right fork heads to the High Street where it ends end-on with the B1098.
After World War II, this section of road was severed by RAF Oakington. The B1050, however, was not bypassed but just gained a gap in its route. This lasted until the 1960s when the road was diverted to Bar Hill.
The 1922 northern end of the B1050 was at Earith, where it ended on the B1085. The road from there to Somersham was unclassified and from there to Chatteris was A141. The B1050 was extended to Somersham in the early 1920s and then when the A141 was rerouted via Warboys in 1935 it was extended to Chatteris. It ended in the centre of town on the A141 until the bypass was built.