|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Carbrooke Hall (TF965008)|
|Via:||Witnesham, Debenham, Eye, Diss, Attenborough|
|Distance:||46.2 miles (74.3 km)|
|Meets:||A1156, A1214, B1078, B1079, A1120, B1117, A140, A143, A1066, B1134, B1113, A11, B1108|
|Route outline (key)|
The road starts from junctions with Crown Street / St Margaret's Street in Ipswich town centre and heads north. It crosses the East Suffolk Line via a level crossing in Westerfield and then crosses the B1078 near Ashbocking. At Peats Corner it multiplexes west along the A1120 for a short distance before regaining its number and going through Debenham and Eye to cross the A140 at a staggered crossroads. It then crosses the River Waveney into Norfolk and reaches the A1066 on the eastern edge of Diss.
In 1922 the B1077 ended here but in 1935 it was extended beyond Diss along what was the B1131. Hence the B1077 now continues to Attleborough, where there's a level crossing on the Breckland Line. Heading out of town, there's a spur along the old A11 north out of town to reach the bypass but the mainline of the B1077 continues on to cross the bypass at a GSJ. The B1077 then continues on to Caston where it TOTSOs right to head north to Carbrooke Hall, where it ends on the B1108.
The B1131 - and so the original extension of the B1077 - continued west from Caston into Watton and thence to Swaffham. During World War II, the road was diverted to Carbrooke Hall as the original road was severed by the building of RAF Watton. The Watton to Swaffham road was declassified in the 1990s.