B10 (Northern Ireland)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||14.6 miles (23.5 km)|
|Meets:||A25, B7, B25, A1, A26, B3, A27|
|Old route now:||B3|
|Route outline (key)|
The B10 is a rural B-road, mostly in south Down.
The road starts on the A25 in Church Square in Rathfriland. It heads north, descending the steep Dromore Street, initially as the dominant number in a short useless multiplex with the B7 until that road turns off to the right. The B10 continues north across the hills, passing the western end of the B25. After going through Annaclone the road reaches Banbridge.
There is a simple GSJ with the A1 Banbridge bypass before the B10 runs along Rathfriland Road into the centre of town. The A26 (pre-bypass A1) is crossed via an ancient diamond GSJ, after which the B10 leaves town along Scarva Road.
Scarva is reached a few miles further on and, with it, a T-junction on the B3. There is a short multiplex south through the village alongside the Newry Canal before the B10 regains its number by turning right to cross the canal and the Belfast to Dublin railway line (above Scarva station) in quick succession. The road then bends sharply to the right before ending at a T-junction on the A27.
On classification in 1923 the B10 only ran between the A1 (present A26) in Banbridge and the A27 near Scarva. However, the B3 did not exist here at that time; that road was extended south in the late 1920s and it is assumed it took over the B10 near Scarva at that time.
Originally the road through Annaclone was unclassified and the final section into Rathfriland was part of the B25. The B10 had been extended east by 1930, although it is not known whether it took over the B25 at this time or whether that happened later.
|B10 (Northern Ireland)|