|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Stuston Common (TM127792)|
|Via:||Diss, Attleborough, Watton|
|Distance:||32.2 miles (51.8 km)|
|Met (1923):||A143, B1132, B1133, B1111, B1134, A11, B1108, B1105|
|Now part of:||A1066, B1077|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1131 was originally a cross-country route in Norfolk.
It started on the A143 to the east of Diss before going through the town along the now-pedestrianised Mere Street and out to the north. After going through New Buckenham it crossed the A11 in Attleborough before reaching the B1108. It multiplexed along this road west through Watton before regaining its number and continuing northwest to end on the B1105 (now A1065) on the southern edge of Swaffham.
In the early 1920s the section east of Diss was renumbered as the eastern end of the A1066; the rest was renumbered B1077 in 1935 making the number redundant. These numbers still hold for most of the length of the ex-B1131, give or take a few bypasses. However, the last couple of miles heading into Watton were severed by the building of RAF Watton during World War II so the B1077 now diverts to the east of the runway to reach the B1108. The B1077 did originally reach Swaffham but the Watton to Swaffham road was declassified in the 1990s.