This article is about the original B1140 that ran on the Acle Straight and is now part of the A47.
For the current B1140 in Norwich, see B1140 (Norwich)
.For the other current B1140 near Wroxham, see B1140 (Wroxham)
New Road, known as the Acle Straight
The number B1140 was first allocated to the Acle Straight, a new direct road built in 1831 between Acle and Great Yarmouth. The A47, meanwhile, took the earlier coaching route to the north via Filby and Caister-on-Sea.
On 1st April 1927 the direct road was reclassified as the A1096, and, in 1935, it was upgraded again to become the A47, which it remains.