|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Thorpe Hamlet (TG240092)|
|To:||Thorpe St Andrew (TG253095)|
|Via:||Kett's Hill, Plumstead Road|
|Distance:||0.8 miles (1.3 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1140 is a short link road to the east of Norwich city centre, although the road was considerably longer for many years.
The road starts at a roundabout just outside the city wall on the A147 ring road. It heads east up Kett's Hill then bears left to run along part of Plumstead Road, ending shortly afterwards at a roundabout on the A1042.
The route above was unclassified in 1922 but gained its number in the mid-1920s. However, when first classified the road was considerably longer.
From its present eastern end the B1140 used to continue east along the remainder of Plumstead Road, eventually reaching Little Plumstead itself. The road then zigzagged through South Walsham to meet the A47 in Acle. After a short multiplex through the village the road regained its number by heading south through Freethorpe. It crossed the River Yare via the Reedham Ferry before bending sharply left to run through Thurlton. After crossing the B1136 the road continued on into Gillingham (pronounced the same way as the town in Dorset), where it crossed the A143 and ended on the A146 soon afterwards.
This 1920s route of the B1140 remained more-or-less unchanged for many years until the early 2000s, when the entire road was declassified except for the short section in Norwich which remains today.