|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||8 miles (12.9 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1159 is a short section of Norfolk coastal road, much altered from its original length.
In its present form, the B1159 starts on the A149 on the western side of Stalham. It heads northeast, then TOTSOs left when it reaches the road north from the centre of Stalham. It continues north across Happisburgh Common before passing Walcott Hall and entering Walcott. It then follows the coast anticlockwise through Bacton. It goes past the gas terminal before ending without ceremony at the 40 mph sign on the entrance into Paston.
This number was at one time used for the entire coast road between Ormesby St Margaret, near Caister-on-Sea, and Cromer via Mundesley.
It started on the A149 at Ormesby and headed anticlockwise along the coast, getting close at times and moving further away at others. It went through Hempsby, Ingham and Happisburgh before joining its current route at a crossroads between Walcott Hall and Walcott.
After leaving Paston it continued via Mundesley and Overstrand to end once again on the A149 in Cromer.
In 1922 the only section of B1159 was the Mundesley to Cromer bit. It was extended clockwise to Ormesby in the 1930s then lost the original section in 1945 as it became an extension of the A148; however, in the 1960s this regained its original number. This state of affairs continued until the 2000s when the road was deemed surplus to requirements and downgraded to serve Bacton Gas Terminal alone. Formerly unclassified roads between Stalham and Walcott were given the number B1159 to connect it to the rest of the network.