|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Market Deeping (TF145097)|
|To:||Leverington Common (TF417091)|
|Distance:||22.3 miles (35.9 km)|
|Meets:||B1525, B1162, B1040, A16, B1168, B1167, B1187, B1169|
|Former Number(s):||B1163, A1073|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1166 is a long B-road across the Fens. Unlike may of the B116x roads which have disappeared, the B1166 has bucked the trend by being extended.
It starts on the B1525 (former A16) in Market Deeping and heads east, following what was the B1163 until 1935. It follows the River Welland downstream, deviating at one point to avoid some lakes, before crossing the river and entering Crowland. It TOTSOs left twice in the village, once when it meets the northern end of the mighty B1040 (originally the through route) and again on the eastern edge where it meets the ex-A1073. The B1166 used to multiplex along the A1073 but that road has now been downgraded, extending the B1166 over part of it. A roundabout is then reached and the road crosses the A16. This marks the original western end of the B1166.
The B1166 continues to zigzag across the Fens, including a sharp right turn in the strangely named village of Gedney Hill. The North Level Main Drain is crossed at Clough's Cross, and the county boundary with it. After Parson Drove, the B1166 turns sharply right then left onto Leverington Common. The B1166 ends here where the road bends slightly to the left and morphs into the B1169 without ceremony.
Originally the B1166 had to TOTSO right here and continued to Wisbech St Mary where it ended on the A47 (renumbered B1441 in 1933). That road was declassified in the 1990s and presumably the end of the B1166 disappeared at the same time.