B1358 (Holbeach Clough - Fleet Hargate)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Holbeach Clough (TF348268)|
|To:||Fleet Hargate (TF392250)|
|Distance:||3.6 miles (5.8 km)|
|Met (1939):||A17, A17|
|Route outline (key)|
The number B1358 was allocated in 1924 to an ancient route – known as Washway Road – running from Holbeach Clough on the A17, one and a half miles northwest of Holbeach in Lincolnshire, through Penny Hill to Fleet Hargate, lying on the same road two miles east of the town.
By the end of World War II, however, this de facto bypass of Holbeach had been upgraded to become part of the A17 itself; the section of the old A17 between Holbeach Clough and Holbeach town becoming a northern extension of the B1168, and that between Holbeach and Fleet Hargate an eastern extension of the A151.
Following construction of a further Holbeach bypass, today's A17 still follows about one mile of Washway Road northwest of Fleet Hargate; however, most of the former B1358 is now unclassified.