B1441 (Guyhirn - Wisbech)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||6.7 miles (10.8 km)|
|Met:||A47, B1166, B1442, A1101|
|Former Number(s):||A47, A141|
|Now part of:||C312|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1441 was first allocated on 1st April, 1933, as part of general renumbering around Wisbech. The road had originally been classified as part of the A47, but when the old Guyhirn Bridge opened in the late 1920s, it swapped routes with the A141 up to Wisbech. Because most traffic took the better quality road south of the River Nene, it was decided to downgrade the northern route to Class II.
The road appears to have been downgraded some time after 1986 (with the original B1441 number being re-used in Clacton, Essex) and became the C312. Interestingly, in 2020, the road appears to have been promoted to Class II again, and is numbered B1542.
Leaving the A47 behind in Guyhirn the road followed the north bank of the River Nene before turning northwards and zigzagging into Wisbech St Mary, meeting the B1166. Continuing east the road entered Wisbech, ending by the town bridge on the A1101.