|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||1.4 miles (2.3 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1516 is a short urban B-road on Tyneside. The road was unclassified for many years but got its number around 1994.
The road starts at a roundabout GSJ on the A194. Some maps show the residential road which turns off the eastbound on-slip as a spur of the B1516. We head north along a residential dual-carriageway, with the left-hand lane in both directions marked out as parking and a cycle route. We cross the Monkton Burn and then reach a roundabout. The road is S2 on the far side.
We continue north, still residential. After passing a park we reach a short one-way system. Northbound traffic is forced left into Surrey Street then right into Park Road. Southbound traffic follows Kent Street one block further north. The B1516 becomes two-way again and ends shortly afterwards at traffic lights on the A185.
The 1.2 mile York Avenue was opened as an unclassified road on 17 July 1928 by the Duke of York. The southern 0.7 mile was dual carriageway. Cost was more than £30,000.