|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Whipps Cross (TQ386888)|
|To:||Chingford Green (TQ387940)|
|Via:||Walthamstow, Highams Park|
|Distance:||3.5 miles (5.6 km)|
|Meets:||A104, A503, A1009, A110|
|Old route now:||A114|
|Route outline (key)|
The B160 is an urban B-road in east London.
It starts on the A104 just to the west of the Whipps Cross roundabout and heads north into Upper Walthamstow. It goes under the Chingford Branch Line by Wood Street station and follows the line for the rest of its route.
On the far side of Upper Walthamstow, the B160 turns sharply right on meeting the A406, which is in cutting, and goes alongside it for a short distance before crossing with no junction. The B160 then runs parallel to the railway line as far as a TOTSO by the level crossing next to Highams Park Station. Northbound traffic is forced to turn left here, so remaining on the B160, which does not cross the level crossing.
A few hundred yards later there is a short section of dual carriageway to aid a turn into an industrial estate before the B160 skirts Larks Wood and gets to a roundabout where it crosses the A1009. On the other side, the railway line is followed closely once again for the rest of the distance, before the B160 ends on the A110.
In 1922 the B160 started on the then-A11 where the Green Man junction is now and headed north to Whipps Cross. This section of road was renumbered as part of the A406 in the mid-1920s and is now the A114.
The original northern end was on the A503 in Upper Walthamstow. The road was extended via a brief multiplex with the A406 in the 1920s. When the A406 was dualled and put in cutting it was not deemed necessary to create a junction with the B160; this has given rise to the present-day road layout.