This article is about the original B176 near Ilford which is now the A1083.
For the current B176 in Hertfordshire, see B176
(former B176) in Goodmayes
The B176 was originally allocated to Green Lane, running between Ilford and Beacontree Heath. On 1st April, 1925, it was upgraded to the A1083, which it remains, although the junctions at both ends have been redesigned.
The road started on Ilford High Road, which is the original route of the A12. It started off heading south along Green Lane, then turned left to head eastwards, retaining the street name.
The road continued east to reach Goodmayes, where it was crossed by the B177, then entered what was in the 1920s open country. It ended at Becontree Heath at a T-junction on the A124.