|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Marks Gate (TQ480914)|
|To:||Chadwell Heath (TQ483891)|
|Via:||Whalebone Lane North|
|Distance:||1.5 miles (2.4 km)|
|Met:||B174, A12, A1112|
|Now part of:||A1112|
|Route outline (key)|
The B196 was a short B-road in south Essex.
Unclassified in 1922, the B196 was inaugurated in the 1940s to allow traffic to avoid Collier Row. It started on the B174 to the north of Marks Gate and headed south through the village to end on the A106 (later A12) at Chadwell Heath.
The road immediately to the south of the B196 was the A1112 and that road took over the entire of the B196 in the 1970s. It remains this number.
For some reason, current (as of 2013) signage on the B174 to the west of Collier Row approaching the roundabout on Collier Row Road and Hog Hill Road in both directions has "Marks Gate (B196)" - so obviously someone still thinks Whalebone Lane North is the B196!