Ferry Road on the former B2143, later A259
, now bypassed, west of Littlehampton
B2143 was the number originally given to the route running from Worthing to Chichester via Littlehampton, where it crossed the River Arun via a ferry, and Bognor Regis. On 1 April 1924 the Bognor to Chichester section was upgraded to become the A294, while the remainder had been reclassified as an extension of the A259 by 1930.
In 1935, the whole of the original route was renumbered as the A259. Bypasses excepted (mostly in the Angmering – Littlehampton area), the route retains this latter number.