|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||3 miles (4.8 km)|
|Met:||A39, B3235, B3236, unclassified|
|Now part of:||A386|
|Route outline (key)|
As the map on the right shows, the B3234 number was originally allocated to a short road from Bideford to Appledore; the road left Bideford along Bridgeland Street and Northam Road rather than Kingsley Road, the current main road, which did not then exist.
However, the B3234 didn't last long at all. As early as 1927, the A386 had been extended north as far as Northam and the remainder of the route was consumed by the B3236. This remained the situation for many years, until the A386 was eventually extended to Appledore itself.
A 1953 map, showing the now-built A386 Kingsley Road, labels Northam Road as the B3234, suggesting that the road got its original number back when bypassed. However, this seems unlikely as other maps show it as unclassified and the B3234 number had gained its present route in Lynton by then.