|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||3.4 miles (5.5 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The road starts at a t-junction on the A30 a few miles west of Penzance, but the road is angled to be more of a fork from the A30 westbound. It is marked "St Buryan 2 B3283" and "Porthcurno 6 (B3315)" and is also marked with brown tourist signs for the Minack Theatre and the Wartime Telegraph Museum. The road at the terminus has a corrugated upright barrier on an island separating the carriageways and this is possibly a method of stopping headlight glare onto the A30 causing confusion for westbound traffic.
We're in West Cornwall so expect a rural outlook, high hedges, plenty of bends and an often missing centre line where the road narrows. Presently the tower of St Buryan church appears and then a 30mph limit is reached. A Texaco garage, the village hall, post office, the pub, the aforementioned church and a Londis store are passed quickly before there is a return to the NSL and open countryside once more. However, perhaps it is worth a short detour in the village. St Buryan was recorded in the Domesday Book and had one of the earliest consecrated churches in Cornwall from the 10th century. The current church was dedicated in 1238.
Back on the road and for a little while it is fairly straight and wider. Shortly, however, the bends and narrows return.