|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Sandford Corner (ST269381)|
|Via:||Sandford Hill, Wembdon Rise|
|Distance:||1.5 miles (2.4 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B3339 is the route of the former A39, though only just. The present route of the A39 was constructed in the early 1920s, meaning that the B3339 was only numbered A39 for two years until 1924. Originally, it used to carry all the traffic westwards out of Bridgwater. Now, it is a slightly unnecessary classified route, serving the village of Wembdon.
Since the opening of Bridgwater's Northern relief road (NRR), the eastern end has been truncated (initially terminating on the unclassified NRR), and then re-routed to the new roundabout with the A39. Things have since changed again and Bridgwater's NRR is now part of the A39, as well as its previous route, meaning that the B3339 once more ends on the NRR.
At the other end, the B3339 diverges from the A39 at Sandford Corner in the hamlet of Sandford in open country to the west of Wembdon. For many years this was a junction overlapping a rather dangerously sited crossroads on the bend in the new (1924) main road - an example of 1920s road design which was not improved until 2013 when a new roundabout was installed. It then climbs Sandford Hill before entering a zone of ribbon development on the western edge of the village of Wembdon, today essentially a suburb of Bridgwater.
The route then turns southeastward, bypassing the old centre of the village, and descends Wembdon Rise to terminate at the signal-controlled T-junction with the A39 Bridgwater NRR (Homberg Way). Before construction of the latter, the B3339 had continued to the original eastern endpoint of the 1924 realignment of the A39 (Quantock Road) at grid reference ST288369, but this section has now been fenced off at its northwestern end, converting the final 300 metres of the original route into a cul de sac.