|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Great Haldon (S) (SX903813)|
|Distance:||5.2 miles (8.4 km)|
|Met (1992):||A380, A379|
|Route outline (key)|
The B3381 was a rural B-road in south Devon. It was originally unclassified but gained its number in the late 1920s. Since declassification (probably coinciding with the opening of the grade-separated junction on Telegraph Hill some two kilometres further north in 2005), the gap in the dual carriageway at the western end of the route has been closed, so that there is access today only to and from the southbound carriageway of the A380 at this point.
Starting on the A380 south of its junction with the A38 the B3381 headed east across wooded heathland. The road was winding and often narrow, with a hairpin bend in at least one place as the road descended to the east.
After leaving the wood the road followed a straighter path across the fields before reaching a fork on the southern side of Starcross. The road to the right, which currently has priority, quickly ended on the A379 on the edge of Cockwood. Meanwhile the left fork headed north into Starcross to end in the centre of town also on the A379 out-of-sight of the River Exe. Both forks had Class II status before 1935, when spurs were frowned upon, so it seems likely although not certain, that one was the B3382, although which would be guesswork.