B38 (Northern Ireland)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||13.4 miles (21.6 km)|
|Meets:||A1, B503, A12, A501, A55, B154, B101, B12|
|Old route now:||A55|
|Route outline (key)|
The B38 is a cross-country B-road in south County Antrim.
The road starts at traffic lights on the A1 (which runs north, south and east from here) in the centre of Belfast adjacent to the Presbyterian Church in Ireland's Assembly Buildings and only a couple of blocks away from the City Hall. The road heads west along Grosvenor Road and widens to go over the A12. South-facing slip roads provide limited access between the two roads.
The B38 remains S4 as it crosses the A501 at traffic lights before running along Springfield Road. For a time the road points northwestwards but it soon bears round to the left as it runs through an industrial estate. A short distance further on a roundabout is reached. This forms the start of a multiplex along the A55, although prior to the inauguration of that road there was no gap in the B38.
The B38 regains its number over a mile further on on the edge of the urban area. The A55 becomes dual-carriageway just before the junction. Our road then heads west into the hills, with excellent views to the left. A couple of miles further on, the road TOTSOs left, with the road ahead the B154 signposted to the airport.
The road continues west across the fields. It reaches the B101 and crosses it at a staggered crossroads, after which the remainder of the road is more of the same. After a fairly straight section it eventually goes under the A26 Glenavy bypass to enter the village. The road ends a short distance further on at a triangular junction on the B12 (pre-bypass A26).
That part of the B38 between the B154 and the B101 is part of the Dundrod Circuit, used for motorsports from the 1950s, including the RAC Tourist Trophy for sports cars between 1950 and 1955 and for the motorcycle Ulster Grand Prix.