|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Dudbridge, Stroud (SO674027)|
|To:||Sharpness Docks (SO833044)|
|Distance:||15.6 miles (25.1 km)|
|Meets:||A419, A4135, B4060, A38, docks|
|Former Number(s):||B4065, B4068, B4069, B4428|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4066 is a winding B-road in south Gloucestershire.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A419 by Sainsbury's in the Dudbridge area of Stroud. It heads south out of town, climbing Selsey Hill to pass through Selsey itself before running over Selsey Common. This is the top of a hill and the road soon descends into a wooded valley and follows it downstream. We briefly climb on to the top to pass Hetty Pegler's Tump before descending again into Uley where we run along the main street. The River Ewelme is then followed into Dursley where the road TOTSOs left on meeting an unclassified road from a housing estate, then reaches a mini-roundabout just afterwards on the A4135.
There's a multiplex north for about a mile to another mini-roundabout where we turn left along Dursley Road, which has houses to the right and fields to the left. The B4060 crosses at a long staggered crossroads (or very short multiplex) and we bear right, signed to the M5 south. There's a detour to the north to avoid climbing Tait's Hill, then we go over the motorway without a junction and then make a beeline for the A38, meeting it at a triangular junction by the site of the former Berkeley Road station.
The B4066 regains its number nearly a mile to the left by turning right to run through Berkeley Heath. Presently a roundabout is reached. Berkeley itself lies ahead and this was once the route of the B4066 but we now turn right onto the bypass. A straight, well-engineered route is then followed. There's soon a turning to the right towards Sharpness village but the B4066 continues ahead to end at a mini-roundabout on unclassified roads at the entrance to Sharpness Docks.
The route of the B4066 was originally unclassified, except for a short section cutting off a corner in Cam, which was the B4065, and the road from Berkeley to the A38, which was part of the B4068. Later in the 1920s the road from Berkeley to Sharpness became the B4428 and the B4069 came into being as the road between the A38 and Cam.
The B4066 appeared in this area before 1932 as the road from Dursley to Stroud. In 1935 it took over all the roads in the previous paragraph and also gained a spur in Sharpness. In more recent years the road between the A38 and Sharpness has been upgraded to a higher standard than would otherwise be expected for a rural B road; this is possibly to accommodate large trucks from Sharpness Dock. The spur to Sharpness village has been removed and the majority of the old B4428 has been bypassed.