|From:||Preston Cross (SO675354)|
|Distance:||13.9 miles (22.4 km)|
|Meets:||A449, A4172, B4024, B4216, B4221, A40|
|Old route now:||A417, A4172|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4215 is a rural B-road in Gloucestershire, now only half its original length.
In 1922 the B4215 started on the A49 at Hope under Dinmore in Herefordshire and then headed southeast via Burley Gate and Trumpet to Preston Cross. This section was ripe for upgrading and so the bit from Hope to Trumpet became the A417 in 1935. Trumpet to Preston Cross is now the A4172, although this bit was not upgraded until the 1960s.
The present northern end of the B4215, therefore, is at the Preston Cross roundabout, where it joins the A449 and A4172. It heads vaguely southwards. The first village en route is Dymock, where we meet the B4216. This is actually a multiplex: the B4215 is the dominant number for a surprisingly long distance which continues over the M50 into Newent, where the B4216 continues southwards from where the B4215 TOTSOs eastwards at a set of traffic lights. Originally the B4215 went through Newent, leaving town along Gloucester Street but this is now bypassed.
The road passes Highleadon and Tibberton before going through Hynam. It ends shortly afterwards at traffic lights on the dual-carriageway A40. B4215 traffic may not turn west onto the A-road but all other movements are allowed.