|To:||Broadmoor, Cinderford (SO650152)|
|Distance:||1.9 miles (3.1 km)|
|Old route now:||A4151, B4234|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4227 is a shadow of its former self. It once stretched from the A48 at Blakeney to meet the A40 in the centre of Ross-on-Wye. However, all that remains is a short section through an industrial estate on the edge of the Forest of Dean town of Cinderford.
These days B4227 starts on the B4226 on the southern edge of Cinderford. It heads north along Valley Road through the industrial section of the town. In recent years some residential areas have been constructed alongside the road. After a roundabout, the B4227 follows Forest Vale Road through Bilson Green before bearing east along Broadmoor Road to end on the A4151 at the northern end of Cinderford. Along the way, it passes over a couple of cattle grids, which are unusual on industrial estates.
The history of the B4227 is quite complicated: the road was once far longer and more important than its current rump section would suggest. It originally started on the A437 (now A48) in Blakeney. It headed north along a very twisty section of undulating road to the small village of Soudley, which is today the location of the Dean Heritage Centre and a couple of lakes that make attractive places to walk around on the a sunny afternoon.
Then it heads onwards to Cinderford, arriving in Ruspidge near the former post office (now closed). The B4227 originally ran along Church Road and Commercial Street before it met the B4226 in the market place, before following the northern section of the High Street out of town to reach the B4223 (now A4136) at Nailbridge. Crossing that road, it went through Ruardean to reach the B4228 at an extremely acute angle on the bank of the Wye. From there, it continued upstream to Ross-on-Wye, ending in the centre of town on the A40.
The northernmost section of the road was soon renumbered, with the B4228 taking over the route into Ross by 1932. In 1935, the section between Cinderford and the A4136 at Nailbridge had become part of the new A4151. However, the rest of the road remained for many years, with a mile-long multiplex to the north of Cinderford. At around about the time that the present route through the industrial estate was opened in the late 1980s, the northern and southern stretches of the road were declassified. The far northern end is now numbered B4234, as the B4228 no longer exists in that area. The southern end supposedly bears no number, although the old B4227 number perplexingly appears on some fairly new blue-edged signs that have been introduced to replace the old blacked-edged B-road signs that had that same number patched out.