|To:||Caerphilly Common (ST155851)|
|Via:||Caerphilly town centre|
|Length:||6.2 miles (10 km)|
|Meets:||unclassified, A468, B4600, A469|
|Former Number(s):||B4264, A469|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4263 is a largely urban B-road in Glamorganshire.
It starts on unclassified roads at the junction of Commercial Street and Stanley Street in Senghenydd. It heads south along Commercial Street through the village before running seamlessly into the next village, Abertridwr. The road then continues southeastwards into Penyrheol, where it splits at a mini-roundabout.
The right fork goes along Station Terrace to cross the A468 Caerphilly bypass and end at traffic lights on the B4600 (pre-bypass A468) in the Trecenydd area of town. This road was originally the B4264 and became a spur of the B4263 in 1935.
If we return to Penyrheol and take the route straight ahead, the original line of the B4263, we continue on to go under the A468 without a junction before crossing the B4600 by Caerphilly Castle via a complicated one-way system. Originally the B4263 actually ended here - but when the A469 bypass was built the B4263 was extended south along the old road. There is a one-way loop in the centre of town (northbound traffic takes the original route; southbound traffic has to TOTSO) before the road goes over the railway line and (later) leaves town, climbing up to Caerphilly Common. It ends here on the current route of the A469.