B4285 (Crynant - Banwen)
|Distance:||5.7 miles (9.2 km)|
|Now part of:||A4109|
|Route outline (key)|
The second incarnation of the B4285 was a short-lived road in north Glamorgan. It appeared on 1 April 1925 as a continuation of the newly classified A4109 which ran up the Dulais Valley from the A465 at Aberdulais to a point just north of Crynant. The B-road ran through the mining communities of Seven Sisters and Dyffryn Cellwen before ending at Banwen.
By 1932, the A4109 had been extended, taking over the B4285 as far as Dyffryn Cellwen and continuing from there along a new-build road which returned in a loop to the A465 at Glynneath. The original B4285 (all bar the 870-metre-long final section between Dyffryn Cellwen and Banwen – which nevertheless retains the name Main Road) is thus today a part of the A4109.