|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||13.7 miles (22 km)|
|Meets:||A4138, A476, B4317, B4309|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4306 is a rural B-road in south Carmarthenshire. The road was originally unclassified but gained its number in 1935.
The road starts on the A4138 by the village green in Hendy, with the inbound and outbound routes following different one-way roads either side of the green. After the two roads meet the B4306 continues as a residential S2 road and presently enters open country. It's not long before we go under the M4 after which we follow a straight road northwestwards across a few valleys to reach Llannon and a T-junction on the A476.
There's a multiplex to the right into the hamlet of Bryndu where the B4306 regains its number by turning left at what is a very sharply angled junction to/from the north-facing A476. The road contours round to the left then rejoins its northwesterly route, although it is now much more winding - but then the hills are steeper. After reaching a plateau the road bears left to descend steeply and crosses a bridge over the long-gone Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway (now a footpath). At the bottom of the hill we enter Pontyberem and meet the B4317, which is crossed at a staggered crossroads.
The road goes over a freight-only railway line and the Gwendraeth Fawr before climbing steeply out of the valley bottom. We reenter open country at the top of the hill then cross a moor to reach Crwbin before descending steeply again to cross the Gwendraeth Fach. Llangynderyn is on the far side. There are two more steep climbs and descents which lead to the end of the road at a T-junction on the B4309.