|To:||Bwlch-y-rhiw, near Llanyre (SO035610)|
|Via:||Newbridge on Wye|
|Length:||10.5 miles (16.9 km)|
|Meets:||A483, A470, A4081|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4358 is a rural road running through the hills of mid-Wales.
It starts on the A483 at Beulah, striking out northeastward from a turn by the Trout Inn along a newish 400-metre-long alignment (dating from about 1995) which takes it across the Afon Cammarch, bypassing the old, weight-restricted bridge and narrow village street, which is now open for local access only.
After rejoining its original route the B4358 climbs to cross the first of several watersheds between here and Newbridge on Wye: the road runs perpendicularly to a number of rivers and their side streams, all flowing southeastward down to the Wye from high hills to our left. There are some steep ascents and descents along the way: overall this 13-km section descends from about 200-150 m above sea level, but passes over summits reaching 266 m.
We cross the Afon Dulas at Glandulas and traverse Llanafan-fawr, a small village now but in ancient times the chief centre of Cantref Buallt (after which Builth Wells is named), and still the site of a locally important annual agricultural show. At Newbridge we cross the River Wye before reaching a T-junction on the A470. There is a short multiplex south through the village.
The B4358 heads east again from the centre of Newbridge. Actually, this is the original western end of the B4358; it was not extended west to Beulah until 1935. The road leaves the village and heads northeast for a couple of miles before ending on the A4081 at Bwlch-y-Rhiw to the south of Llanyre - and not that far away from Llandrindod Wells.