|Length:||20.2 miles (32.5 km)|
|Meets:||A44, B4355, B4356, A4110, B4361, A49, A456|
|Former Number(s):||B4355, B4356|
|Old route now:||B4356|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4362 is a long rural B-road in the border region of England and Wales.
It starts on the A44 in Walton, Radnorshire, less than a mile from the English border, which it makes a bee-line for. The road runs northeastwards along the valley of the Hindwell Brook to Presteigne, also in Radnorshire, although the border with England was crossed four times on this short stretch and we spend longer in England than in Wales. At Wegnall, on the edge of Presteigne, the B4362 reaches a roundabout and multiplexes along the B4355 for a short distance before turning right to regain its number. It runs along the edge of Presteigne town centre, turning right at the next roundabout where it meets the B4356 (which is only signed for the town centre, being inappropriate for through traffic). Just over a mile later our road crosses the English border for the fifth and last time.
After crossing the Hindwell Brook again the road climbs out of the valley and reaches a summit before descending into Shobdon. Continuing east, the road reaches Mortimer's Cross where it crosses the A4110 at a staggered crossroads and then the River Lugg. It then passes through Lucton, Cock Gate and Bircher before reaching the B4361. That road is the dominant partner in a mile-long multiplex around Orleton (which has always been bypassed) but to begin with the B4361 has to TOTSO.
At the northern end of the multiplex the B4362 turns right and heads east once more. It passes an array of telecommunications masts before crossing the Welsh Marches Line and ending at a staggered crossroads on the A49. The road ahead is the A456.
The road from Walton to Wegnall was originally the B4356. The B4362 took this over completely in the 1935 Road numbering revision, together with a short section of B4355 connecting the two. The current multiplex with the B4355 was also created in 1935, as the B4355 which originally ended in Presteigne was extended further north.